|Alt names||Wareleia||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 106|
|Warleia||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 106|
|Type||Village, Civil parish|
|Located in||Essex, England|
|See also||Romford Rural, Essex, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1934|
|Brentwood, Essex, England||parish into part of Great Warley was transferred in 1934|
|Hornchurch, Essex, England||urban district in which part of Great Warley was located 1934-1965|
|Havering (London Borough), Greater London, England||London borough covering the remainder of the area since 1965|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Great Warley was in Romford Rural District from 1894 until 1934 when the rural district was abolished and the civil parishes transferred to neighbouring urban districts. At this point the northern third of Great Warley was transferred to the parish of Brentwood and the remainder was transferred to Hornchurch Urban District. In 1965 this remaining part of the original parish of Great Warley became part of the London Borough of Havering in Greater London.
Wikipedia maintains that all of Great Warley was transferred to Brentwood, some in 1934 and some in 1965. This is refuted by GENUKI. Admittedly, the village of Great Warley is outside the M25 motorway and may well be part of the area that went to Brentwood.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Great Warley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WARLEY (Great), a parish in Romford [registration] district, Essex; 3 miles S of Brentwood [railway] station. It includes the hamlet of Warley-Street, and has a post-office under Brentwood. Acres: 2,793. Real property: £5,442. Population in 1851: 952; in 1861: 1,220. Houses: 248. The property is much subdivided. [Warley] House, [Warley] Place, Prospect Lodge, and the Elms are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £520. Patron: St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is ancient but good.
- "A chapelry, called Christchurch Great Warley, was formed in 1855, out of Great Warley, Shenfield and South Weald parishes; and has its church upwards of 2 miles from the churches of the respective parishes. Population in 1861: 1,734. Houses: 261. The living is a [perpetual] curacy, of the value of £135, in the patronage of Trustees. There is a national school."
- A History of the County of Essex: Volume 7 in the Victoria County History series provided online by British History Online, edited by W R Powell. Covers the ancient parishes, formerly within the liberty of Havering-atte-Bower and now within the London borough of Havering, and those in Chafford hundred in western Essex now bordering London. It includes accounts of Hornchurch, Romford, Havering and Rainham.
- Victoria County History chapter on Great Warley. There are also other references.
- Great Warley was in the Romford Registration District from the start of civil registration in 1837 until the parish was split in 1934. The northern third was then in Brentwood Registration District. The remaining part of the parish remained in Romford registration district until 1974 when it was transferred to the Borough of Havering registration district along with the rest of Romford.
Categories: Essex, England | Great Warley, Essex, England | Romford Rural, Essex, England | Brentwood, Essex, England | Hornchurch, Essex, England | Brentwood (district), Essex, England