Place:Great Stanney, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameGreat Stanney
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates53.275°N 2.88°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoChester Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1910
Ellesmere Port and Whitby, Cheshire, Englandurban district in which it was located 1910-1933
Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, Englandurban district in which it was located 1933-50
Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, Englandborough into which it was annexed 1950
Ellesmere Port and Neston (borough), Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality into which Ellesmere Port was merged in 1974
Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, Englandunitary authority covers the area since 2009
source: Family History Library Catalog


Great Stanney was a township in the ancient parish of Stoak in the Wirral hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. It included the hamlets of Stanney Grange and Wolverham. In 1911 it gained the whole of Stanlow (an extra-parochial place with a populaton of 31 in 1911). The civil parish was abolished in 1950 to become part of Ellesmere Port.

Between 1894 and 1910 Great Stanney had been part of Chester Rural District and between 1910 and 1933 part of Ellesmere Port Urban District.

Research Tips