- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Shurdington is a village near Cheltenham in Gloucestershire, England. The area constitutes a civil parish within the Borough of Tewkesbury. The parish is located south of Cheltenham on the A46 road. Up until 1888 the hamlet of Up Hatherley was part of the parish of Shurdington.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Shurdington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "SHURDINGTON (Great), a parish, with a village, in Cheltenham [registration] district, Gloucester; 3 miles SW by S of Cheltenham [railway] station. It has a post-office under Cheltenham. Acres: 383. Real property: £1,490. Population: 164. Houses: 37. The living is a [perpetual] curacy, annexed to Badgeworth. The church is early English. There is a national school."
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Dudstone and Kings Barton (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury (district), Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Shurdington, Gloucestershire, England | Up Hatherley, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, England