- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Great Saling is a village and a civil parish in the Braintree District of the English county of Essex. It is near the town of Braintree. The parish was part of the Braintree Rural District from 1894 until 1974.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Great Saling from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "SALING (Great), a village and a parish in Braintree [registration] district, Essex. The village stands 4½ miles N W by W of Braintree [railway] station; dates from before the time of Edward the Confessor; and has a post-office under Braintree. The parish comprises 1,651 acres. Real property: £2,605. Population: 361. Houses: 72. [Saling] Grove is the seat of Mrs. Fowke. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £150. Patron: W. V. Fowke, Esq. The church was restored in 1865. There are a national school, and charities £5."