Place:Great Oakley, Essex, England

Watchers
NameGreat Oakley
Alt namesAccleiasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 102; 102
Ademsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 102; 102
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates51.9°N 1.183°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoTendring Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Tendring (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Great Oakley is a village and civil parish in the Tendring District of Essex. It is a long, narrow parish lying on the top of a low (25 m) ridge south of Ramsey Creek which drains northeast towards Harwich. The parish extends south to Oakley Creek, a branch of Hamford Water, where stood Great Oakley Dock, now disused.

The church, dedicated to All Saints, contains some Norman work. The living thereof is in the gift of St John's College, Cambridge.

A public house called The Three Cups — after the emblem of the Salters Company — used to be situated in the village, indicating that there were salt works in the area and indeed the parish still contains a large chemical works.

The parish was part of the Tendring Rural District from 1894 until 1974, and since 1974 it has been located in the Tendring District of Essex.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Great Oakley, Essex. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
Fundraiser
Help fund new features!