|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Oxfordshire, England|
|See also||Bullingdon Hundred, Oxfordshire, England||ancient county division in which it was originally located|
|Thame Hundred, Oxfordshire, England||ancient county division in which it was later located|
|Thame Rural, Oxfordshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Bullingdon Rural, Oxfordshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1932-1974|
|Chilworth, Oxfordshire, England||parish which it absorbed in 1932|
|South Oxfordshire District, Oxfordshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Great Milton is a village and civil parish in Oxfordshire, England, about 7 miles (11 km) east of Oxford. According to the 2011 UK census it had a population of 1,042.
Between 1894 and 1932 Great Milton was part of Thame Rural District and, between 1932 and 1974, part of Bullingdon Rural District. It is now located in the South Oxfordshire District. In 1932 Great Milton was enlarged when it absorbed Chilworth parish which was abolished at that time. Ascott near Stadhampton, Chilworth and Little Milton had all originated as chapelries of Great Milton. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Great Milton.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Great Milton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "MILTON (GREAT), a village, a township, and a parish, in Thame [registration] district, Oxford. The village stands on an eminence 1 mile E of the river Thame, and 5¾ WSW of Thame [railway] station; was known at Domesday, as Midelton; and has a post office under Tetsworth. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Population: 630. Houses: 137.
- "The parish contains also the hamlets of Ascot and Chilworth. Acres: 2,742. Real property: £4,088. Population: 729. Houses: 161. Milton House is the seat of Mrs. Sheppard; and the Priory was lately the residence of Miss Duffield. A house said to have belonged to the ancestors of the poet Milton, stands opposite the village well; and has a gabled structure, and mullioned windows. A priory, a cell to Abingdon abbey, stood in the parish; and was given, at the dissolution, to Richard de Louches. Milton Field was a meet for the Wormsley harriers. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value: £300. Patron: the Bishop of Oxford. The church is chiefly decorated English; has a fine early English N door, and a good later English tower; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel; was thoroughly restored in 1851; contains a very handsome marble monument of 1618 to the Dormer family, and an interesting tomb of Mrs Wilkinson of 1654; was, till about 1852, a peculiar of the Bishop of Lincoln, and furnished two prebends, called Milton-Ecclesia and Milton-Manor, to Lincoln cathedral. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £50."
Both Ascott near Stadhampton and Chilworth eventually became separate parishes.