|Alt names||Great Habton|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||North Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Kirby Misperton, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
|Pickering Lythe Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was located|
|Malton Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district of which the civil parish was a part 1894-1974|
|Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England||district municipality in which it has been situated since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: For convenience, the two townships and civil parishes of Great Habton and Little Habton have been redirected here. There is no article for either in Wikipedia and no details in A Vision of Britain through Time as to when the two parishes joined together.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Great Habton and Little Habton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HABTON (GREAT and LITTLE), two townships in Kirkby Misperton parish, [North Riding of] Yorkshire; on the river Rye, 3 miles NW by N, and 4 NW, of New Malton. Acres: 1,700 and 444. Real property: £2,025. Population: 182 and 61. Houses: 37 and 11. Great Habton has a post office under York."
The two hamlets of Great Habton and Little Habton, combined as Habton, were located in the ecclesiastical parish of Kirby Misperton in the Pickering Lythe Wapentake.
Between 1894 and 1974 they were part of the Malton Rural District. Since 1974 they are situated in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England.
- This is by far the most complete history of the parishes of the county to be found online. The chapters are ordered by the divisions of the county called wapentakes, but each chapter is linked to the volume's content page.
- GENUKI has a page on all three ridings of Yorkshire and pages for each of the ecclesiastical parishes in the county. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each.
- These are based on a gazetteer dated 1835 and there may have been a number of alterations to the parish setup since then. However, it is worthwhile information for the pre civil registration era. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and the submitter is very firm about his copyright. This should not stop anyone from reading the material.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851 which gives the registration district and wapentake for each parish, together with statistics from the 1851 census for the area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, Yorkshire North Riding, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72.
- Map of the North Riding divisions in 1888 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
- Map of North Riding divisions in 1944 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
- The above two maps indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.
- Yorkshire has a large number of family history and genealogical societies. A list of the societies will be found on the Yorkshire, England page.
Categories: North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Habton, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Kirby Misperton, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Pickering Lythe Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Malton Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England