|Alt names||Canedfelda||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 100|
|Canefelda||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 100|
|Chenefelda||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 100|
|Located in||Essex, England|
|See also||Dunmow Rural, Essex, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Uttlesford (district), Essex, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Great Canfield is a village and a civil parish in the Uttlesford District, in the English county of Essex. It is near the small town of Great Dunmow and about a mile to the west of High Roding.
- "Great Canfield is watered by the River Roding – the village runs from Stane Street and includes the hamlets of Hope End Green, Canfield Hart, Bacon End and Green Street. Canfield Castle is an impressive earthwork near the church and is known as The Mount. This is all that remains of a castle put by the de Veres, Earls of Oxford. The motte and bailey plan is probably Norman but not documented until 1214. The outer court covers seven acres and is surrounded by a wide moat filled from the river. The mount and church, with the River Roding, form a lovely setting." (Source: The Recorders of Ucclesford History)
The parish was part of the Dunmow Rural District from 1894 until 1974. Since 1974 it has been located in the Uttlesford District of Essex.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Great Canfield.