Great Bookham is a village in Surrey, England, located between Leatherhead and Guildford. The Bookhams – Great and Little Bookham – are part of the Saxon settlement of Bocham, "the village by the beeches". They are surrounded by common land. Great Bookham is the larger village but Little Bookham houses the railway station.
The villages are situated on the A246 which is the main route for traffic travelling between the Surrey towns of Leatherhead and Guildford. Whilst once two distinct villages, the Bookhams have long been interconnected with residential roads that give most newcomers the impression that it is in fact one large village.
The village is well known as the location of Polesden Lacey, a country house located on the southern edge of the village, surrounded by over of grounds, now owned by the National Trust and open to the public.
Ranmer or Ranmore was an ecclesiastical parish established in 1860 from the parishes of Great and Little Bookham, Effingham, Dorking, and Mickleham. It lies upon the high ground of the chalk range, but extends into the lower ground towards Dorking and Mickleham. The church, St. Barnabas, is in Great Bookham. Ranmore Common is a large open space on the brow of the hill. (Source: Victoria County History)
Ranmer parish registers are filed separately by FamilySearch.
Surrey Research Tips
Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre. The centre has a website with a number of useful indexes--titheholders in various parishes, deaths at the county gaol, etc.)
The website GENUKI provides a very comprehensive list of reference sources for the County of Surrey. It includes: