Place:Badminton, Gloucestershire, England

Watchers
NameBadminton
Alt namesGreat Badmintonsource: Family History Library Catalog
Madmintunesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 111
Little Badminton
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.533°N 2.283°W
Located inGloucestershire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inAvon, England     (1974 - 1996)
Gloucestershire, England     (1996 - )
See alsoGrumbalds Ash (hundred), Gloucestershire, Englandhundred in which the parish was located
Chipping Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, Englandrural district in which it was situated 1894-1935
Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, Englandrural district in which it was situated 1835-1974
South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, Englandunitary authority of which it has been part since 1996
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Badminton is a civil parish in Gloucestershire, England. It consists of the villages of Great Badminton and Little Badminton (both of which are redirected here) and, since 1996, has been located in the unitary authority of South Gloucestershire.

Contents

History

In 1612 Edward Somerset, 4th Earl of Worcester, bought from Nicholas Boteler his manors of Great and Little Badminton, called Madmintune [sic] in the Domesday Book (1086). A century earlier the name Badimyncgtun was recorded. The estate had been held by the Boteler family since 1275.

Badminton House

The village is close to the Duke of Beaufort's residence, Badminton House, which has been the principal seat of the Somerset family since the late 17th century. Badminton House also gives its name to the sport badminton.

Horse trials

The village is famous for the Badminton Horse Trials (an equestrian competititon), which take place in early May each year in the grounds of Badminton House.

St Michael and All Angels

The parish church of St Michael and All Angels in Great Badminton is attached to the Duke of Beaufort's residence. The current church was built in 1785 and serves as the principal burial place of the Somerset family. Nearly all Dukes and Duchesses are interred here. A smaller church, also dedicated to St Michael and All Angels, stands in neighbouring Little Badminton.

Little Badminton

To the north of the main village is the small rural settlement of Little Badminton. Here can be found farm houses, cottages and estate lodges very much in the traditional Cotswold style of architecture. Remains of a medieval 'sunken village' can be seen in Little Badminton, as well as an ornamental dovecote or croft, which is mentioned in the Domesday book.

Research Tips

Online sources which may also be helpful:

  • GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
  • A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
  • The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
  • A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
  • Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Badminton, Gloucestershire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.