Great Ayton is a village and civil parish in the Hambleton district of North Yorkshire, England, on the edge of the North York Moors. It lies southeast of Middlesbrough and northeast of Stokesley on the border with the unitary authorities of Redcar and Cleveland and Middlesbrough. According to the 2001 census, it has a population of 4,570.
The name Great Ayton is thought to derive from Ea-tun, tun meaning farm and ea meaning river. In the 18th and 19th centuries Great Ayton was a centre for the industries of weaving, tanning, brewing, and tile making. It was home to the Great Ayton Friends' School (Quaker) from 1841 until it closed in 1997.