|Alt names||Grays Thurrock||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 105|
|Grays-Thurrock||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Turoc||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 105|
|Turocha||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 105|
|Turroc||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 105|
|Turruc||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 105|
|Grays||source: common parlance, Wikipedia|
|Type||Town, Urban district|
|Located in||Essex, England|
|See also||Thurrock, Essex, England||urban district in which it was located 1936-1974|
|Thurrock (district), Essex, England||district municipality/unitary authority in which it has been situated since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Grays Thurrock, commonly known simply as Grays, is the largest town in the borough and unitary authority of Thurrock in Essex and one of the Thurrock's traditional (Church of England) parishes. The town is approximately 20 miles (32 km) to the east of central London on the north bank of the River Thames, and 2 miles (3.2 km) east of the M25 motorway at the Dartford Crossing. Its economy is linked to Port of London industries, its own offices, retail areas and Lakeside, West Thurrock. Its diversely used riverside faces Broadness Lighthouse at Broadness Point in Swanscombe in Kent.
It has a variously used riverside (from homes through wild bird-habitat marshland to importation, storage and distribution).
The parish was part of the Thurrock Urban District from 1936 until 1974. Since 1974 it has been located in the Thurrock District in Essex (a unitary authority since 1998).Between 1894 and 1936 it was an urban authority in its own right.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Grays Thurrock from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "GRAYS THURROCK, or GRAYs, a small town and a parish in Orsett [registration] district, Essex. The town stands on the Thames, and on the London and Southend railway, between Fiddler's Reach and Northfleet Hope, 3 miles WNW of Tilbury Fort, and 10 SE of Romford; consists chiefly of one street, irregularly built, extending along a small creek; contains many new houses; was given, in 1194, by Richard I. to Henry de Grey; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a station on the railway, a post office, of the name of Grays, under Romford, London E, and a pier 400 feet long. A weekly market is held on Thursday; fairs are held on 23 May and 20 Oct.; and a large trade is carried on in the export of bricks to London. The parish comprises 1,374 acres of land, and 260 of water. Real property:£6,889. Population in 1851: 1,713; in 1861: 2,209. Houses: 400. The increase of population arose from the influence of the railway, and from the establishment of a chemical manufactory. The property is got much divided. Belmont Castle, about a mile from the town, the seat of R. Webb, Esq., is a modern Gothic edifice, and stands on an eminence, amid fine grounds. A whale, 58 feet long, came ashore at the parish in Oct. 1849. Brick making, and chalk-limeburning are largely carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £250. Patron: James Theobald, Esq. The church is cruciform and good; and has a tower, with a recent low spire. There are a national school, a free grammar school, and some charities."