Gray County is a county located in the U.S. state of Texas. As of the 2010 census, its population was 22,535. The county seat is Pampa. The county is named for Peter W. Gray, a Confederate lawyer and soldier in the American Civil War.
Gray County comprises the Pampa, TX Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Gray County was the center of the White Deer Lands Management Company, which ceased operations in 1957. The history of the company is the theme of the White Deer Land Museum in Pampa, but company archives are at the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum in Canyon. Timothy Dwight Hobart, the White Deer land agent from 1903 to 1924, was elected mayor of Pampa in 1927.
The Clinton-Oklahoma-Western Railroad Company of Texas served Gray County with service to Hemphill County at the Oklahoma border. Another line then connected eastward to Clinton, Oklahoma. There was an eleven-mile extension of the COW-T from rural nHeaton to the former oil camp of Coltexo in Gray County. Originally a Frank Kell property, the COW-T was acquired in 1928 by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, which then leased it in 1931 to the former Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway.