Place:Gravesend Reformed Church Cemetery, Brooklyn, Kings, New York, United States

Watchers
NameGravesend Reformed Church Cemetery
TypeCemetery
Coordinates40.5944°N 73.975°W
Located inBrooklyn, Kings, New York, United States
Also located inGravesend, Kings, New York, United States    


Gravesend, Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States

The burial ground, occupying the original common ground of the southwest quadrant, remains today as Gravesend Cemetery, sole reminder of this pioneer community. With only 1.6 acres, it is one of the smallest cemeteries in the city.

Although it was originally a square at the center of the southwest quadrant, subsequent donations of adjacent property have given it the irregular shape it has today. For example, in 1687 John Tilton willed his property to it. The burial ground existed as early as 1658 when twenty guilders were bequeathed in the will of Thomas Spicer to enclose the cemetery with a fence. The earliest recorded death in Gravesend was in 1650, but most of the gravestones predating the 18th century have disappeared or became illegible.

The graves of most of the original patentees and many of their descedendents are here. Among the many old names recorded are: Cowenhoven, Ryder, Van Nuyse, Suydam, Wyckoff, Van Pelt, Gerritsen, Dyckman and Van Sicklen. The Van Sicklen family maintained their own cemetery in the northwest corner of the Gravesend Cemetery. It is still separately fenced and identified as that of the family. Although it has never been firmly ascertained, it is generally believed that the founder of this community, Lady Deborah Moody, was buried in the cemetery.

Map of Gravesend, Brooklyn, New York City, Geographicus - Gravesend-Beers-1873
Enlarge
Map of Gravesend, Brooklyn, New York City, Geographicus - Gravesend-Beers-1873

Resources


See also