- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
The parish of Graveley covers an area of 1,582 acres (640 ha) at the western end of the historical county of Cambridgeshire. Until Huntingdonshire was merged into Cambridgeshire in 1974, its north, west, and south borders were with Huntingdonshire parishes. Its eastern border follows a small stream that separates it from Papworth St Agnes.
In 1941 an area of 106 acres (43 ha) straddling the border with Offord D'Arcy was requisitioned by the government to form Graveley airfield and was used by bomber squadrons until the end of the Second World War. The part in Graveley included the end of the main runway and a number of buildings. The airfield closed in 1946 but reopened in the late 50s as a relief airstrip for Oakington barracks. The land returned to agricultural use in 1967.
Listed as Greflea in the 10th century and Gravelei in the Domesday Book of 1086 the name is believed to mean "woodland clearing by the pit or trench".
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Graveley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "GRAVELEY, a parish in the district of St. Neots and county of Cambridge; continuous to Hunts, 3½ miles SE of Offord [railway] station, and 5 NE of St. Neots. It has a post office under Huntingdon. Acres: 1,558. Real property: £1,549. Population: 301. Houses: 59. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value: £312. Patron, Jesus' College,....[Primi] mitive Methodist chapel, and charities £48."
[It would appear that a line of the text was omitted in the scanning.]
A Vision of Britain through Time states that Graveley was split between St Neots Rural District in Huntingdonshire and Caxton and Arrington Rural District in Cambridgeshire.
- Original historical documents relating to Huntingdonshire are held by Cambridgeshire Archives and Local Studies at the County Record Office in Huntingdon.
- A History of the County of Huntingdon in 3 volumes from British History Online (Victoria County Histories), published 1911. This is by far the most complete history of the parishes of the county to be found online. The chapters are ordered by the divisions of the county called hundreds, but each chapter is linked to the volume's content page.
- GENUKI has a page on Huntingdonshire and pages for each of the ecclesiastical parishes in the county. These give references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions.
- Map of Huntingdonshire divisions in 1888 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
- Map of Huntingdonshire divisions in 1944 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time