Since 1974 Creed is in the civil parish of Grampound with Creed and the name comes from Sancta Crida, from Saint Cride, the patron of the church. The population of Grampound with Creed was 654 in the 2011 UK census. Prior to 1974 Creed was a parish independent of Grampound although part of Grampound was in Creed parish. The hamlet of Grampound Road is redirected here.
The manor of Tybesta was the head manor of the hundred of Powder in the time of Domesday and later one of the 17 Antiqua maneria of the Duchy of Cornwall. William Gregor, the discoverer of titanium, was rector here.
The church of St Andrew was of Norman foundation but in its existing form is more or less of the 15th century (the tower however was rebuilt in 1734). Between 1869 and 1906 the church was unused. It has a tower of three stages, a fine south aisle and a south porch. Parts of the old woodwork have been preserved.
Creed was part of the St. Austell Rural District from 1894 until 1974.
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.