NOTE: There is also a Grace Lawn Cemetery in Middlebury.
Source: Grace Lawn Cemetery website
The first burial ground for the city of Elkhart was located at the corner of Middlebury and Prairie Streets and was established about the time Elkhart was platted in April 1832. By the early 1860's, it became apparent that the cemetery would not be large enough to serve the growing population of Elkhart. At that time the city of Elkhart began negotiations to buy land for Grace Lawn Cemetery.
In 1855, John and Charles Rice of New York originally purchased 194.84 acres located in the Section 4 Township 37 Range 5, from Lorenzo Cody and his wife. Soon afterwards, John bought Charles's half of the land. In 1862, John M. Rice, sold eight of these acres, located just east of the river, to the city of Elkhart to use as a cemetery.
Charles Beardsley (a town trustee) surveyed the original plat for Grace Lawn, donating his service to the city. In return, the cemetery was named after his foster daughter Grace (Mrs. E.L. Clark). Both are buried in Grace Lawn.