Gowthorpe is a hamlet in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 4 miles (6.4 km) north-west of Pocklington town centre and 3 miles (4.8 km) east of the village of Stamford Bridge.
From 1886 Gowthorpe was part of the civil parish of Youlthorpe-with-Gowthorpe which was abolished on 1 April 1935 with the creation of the civil parish of Bishop Wilton. Both civil parishes were located in Pocklington Rural District.
Historically, Gowthorpe was in the ecclesiastical parish of Bishop Wilton in the wapentake of Harthill.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.