Goshen is an unincorporated community located within Middle Township, in Cape May County, New Jersey, United States (08218). Route 47, also known as Delsea Drive, runs directly through the center of the community.
The area was first settled by Aaron Leaming who began raising cattle in here in 1693. By 1710 there was a settlement. Goshen’s first industry was a king crab mill and a canning factory, but shipbuilding and lumbering industries flourished.
The Garrison shipyard on Goshen Creek had stocks for the simultaneous construction of two vessels, which, upon being launched, were slipped into the water sideways. Between 1859 and 1898, twenty-five ships of record were built there, along with many smaller craft. Around 1900, Cape May County's shipbuilding industry was shut down. The last ship launched by Goshen shipyard was the “Diamond” in 1898. Due to the lasting effects of the brackish water there, the remains of the docks are still visible at the end of Goshen Landing Road during low tide.
The Tavern House (circa 1725), located on the corner of Route 47 and Goshen Landing Road is one of the oldest original homes in Cape May County. It was at different period through the years, a tavern, hotel, dentist office and residence. While significant changes were made over the years, much of the original workmanship is still evident. Rough hewn logs still support the house and wooden pegs can be found holding the rafters in place.