|Type||Extra parochial area, Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Bountisborough Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Alresford Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Old Alresford, Hampshire, England||parish into which it was absorbed in 1932|
|Winchester District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Godsfield originated as a preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers. The preceptory moved to North Baddesley soon after the Black Death (1348-1349). (Source: Wikipedia)
Godsfield was still showing as a parish on the Ordnance Survey map of Hampshire of 1900. It was bounded on the north by the parish of Chilton Candover, on the east by Wield, on the south by Old Alresford and Itchen Stoke, and on the west by Swarraton and Brown Candover. In 1932 it was absorbed into Old Alresford. Since 1974 it has been part of the Winchester District or City of Winchester.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Godsfield and its location from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "GODSFIELD, an extra-parochial tract in Alresford district, Hants; 3½ miles NNE of New Alresford. Acres: 160. Population: 9. House: 1."
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Godsfield.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Godsfield, Hampshire, England | Bountisborough Hundred, Hampshire, England | Alresford Rural, Hampshire, England | Old Alresford, Hampshire, England | Winchester District, Hampshire, England