Glynn is a small village and civil parish in the Larne Borough Council area of County Antrim, Northern Ireland. It lies a short distance south of Larne, on the shore of Larne Lough. Glynn had a population of 2,027 people in the 2011 Census.
The Church of Gluaire is supposed to have been founded by St Patrick in 435 A.D. The ruins of an old stone church still stand within the village boundary. Prior to baronial division, the county of Antrim was divided into the districts of North Clandeboye and Glynns (Glynnes). The area was a vicarage in the Diocese of Connor and ecclesiastical province of Armagh and was a gift of the Marquess of Donegall.
The village is then mentioned in a grant from King James I to Arthur Lord Chichester, Baron of Belfast, of his estates in Antrim, Down and Carrickfergus. This grant was dated 20 November 1620. In a later grant from King Charles II to Edward, Viscount Chichester, Glynn was mentioned as being part of the territory of Magheramorne.
Written information exists that details how Sir John Chichester, governor of Carrickfergus, was beheaded by James MacSorley MacDonnell at a site on the eastern edge of the village. James MacDonnell and his men had made a feint on Carrickfergus town. They were then pursued to the glen of Altrackyn, some five miles (8 km) from Glynn. Sir John was captured and his men were nearly cut to pieces. Later in the day, Sir John was beheaded by James MacDonnell on a stone. It is documented that this event occurred in November 1597. A 'standing stone' still stands to this day, approximately one mile east of the village.
In the early 20th century the lime works and Ballylig was bought by Associated Portland Cement Manufacturers (now Blue Circle) and a large cement works was built alongside the wharf. The works became a significant employer in the wider area.
In the 1930s Glynn, was seen on the 'big screen' in the movie The Luck Of The Irish. The film starred the Hollywood actor Richard Hayward and many villagers were used as extras.
From the 1930s Glynn saw expansion with many of the thatched cottages being replaced by modern family housing. The first phase was approximately 100 houses and bungalows at Glenvale Park, build in the 1950s. Then, in the late 1960s, eighteen houses were built at Glenside. These were followed by more houses and bungalows at Hawthorne Grove in the 1970s. All these properties were built by the government for renting. Further housing developments have taken place in the 1980s at Glenavon and in the 1990s at Craiganboy. The latter two developments were built privately for sale. It is estimated that there are now approximately 350 occupied dwelling houses in Glynn (April 2004).
Glynn has seen new housing developments in the latter half of 2006, where several bungalows were built on the Glenburn Road and adjacent the Jubilee park behind Hawthorne Grove estate. A plot of field near to the Main Road was also purchased in December 2006 for a more than ample sum of £250, 000; no plans of layout for housing have been confirmed yet. The compound area at the foot of the Glynn Brae is also rumoured to undergo changes this year in becoming a future housing estate.
Extracts pertaining to local and historical information are taken from a Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis published in 1837.
GLYNN, a parish, in the barony of LOWER BELFAST, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 1 1/2 mile (S.) from Larne; containing 1668 inhabitants, of which number, 379 are in the village. This parish, anciently called Glinus, and also Gleno or Glenco, is beautifully situated in a pleasant glen, through which a mountain stream takes its course into Lough Larne, which forms the entire eastern boundary of the parish; and also on the royal military coast road. The harbour of Larne is very capacious, and may be entered at all times of the tide. In 1597, Sorley Mac Donnel, having assaulted the garrison of Carrickfergus and taken the governor, Sir John Chichester, prisoner, brought him to this place, and beheaded him on a stone that had formed the plinth of an ancient cross, and which then pointed out the boundary of North Clandeboy. The parish comprises 4484 1/2 statute acres, which are generally in a state of high cultivation; the system of agriculture is greatly improved, and there is neither bog nor waste land. Here are some very extensive lime-works, called the Maghramorne Lime Works, the property of John Irving, Esq., from which large quantities of lime are exported to Scotland and the northern parts of England. These are the largest lime-works in the united kingdom: in 1836, there were 459 vessels, of the aggregate burden of 18,040 tons, exclusively employed in the trade; the average export is 16,228 tons, and the demand is annually increasing; the sum paid weekly for labour amounts to £1804. On a chymical analysis by Dr. Thomson, of Glasgow, the stone is found to contain 99 per cent, of pure lime, and it has been ascertained by experience that, whether employed as a manure or a cement for building, it will go twice as far as lime of the ordinary quality. Rail and tram roads have been laid down, which greatly facilitate the operations; there are also convenient wharfs, so that any quantity of the article can be furnished without delay or detention of the shipping. The principal seats are Maghramorne House, a modern mansion, beautifully situated on the bay of Larne, the residence of Mr. Irving, who is also the chief proprietor of the lands in the barony; Glynn House, that of Randall W. Johnston, Esq.; and the Cottage, of Miss McClaverty. The village is pleasantly situated and contains 75 houses neatly built. One of the first bleach-greens established in Ireland was at this place; it was subsequently the site of a cotton-mill, and in 1830 the machinery was applied to the spinning of fine linen yarn, in which about 120 persons are at present employed. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Connor, and in the patronage of the Marquess of Donegal, in whom the rectory is impropriate: the vicarial tithes amount to £52. There is no glebe-house or glebe, and the church is a picturesque ruin; the Protestant parishioners attend the different places of worship in Larne. About 35 children are taught in the parochial school, for which a house was built by R. W. Johnston, Esq.; and there are two private schools, in which are about 100 children. A nunnery was founded here at a very remote period, of which St. Darerca, sister of St. Patrick, was abbess; it was called Linn, and is supposed to have been situated at Glynn, near Larne, where some traces of a chapel still exist; the site, with all its possessions, was granted by Jas. I. to Sir Arthur Chichester, by the designation of the "Chapel of Glynn." Here is a powerful vitriolic spring, in which the star stone is found in great perfection.