Place:Glororum, Northumberland, England

TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.595°N 1.74°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoBamburgh, Northumberland, Englandancient parish of which it was part
Bamburgh Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient division in which it was located
Belford Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Bamburgh, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Glororum is now a hamlet in the county of Northumberland about 1.25 miles (2.01 km) southwest of Bamburgh. The 2001 census (the last one in which it was tallied separately) showed a population of 33.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Glororum from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"GLORORUM, - originally Glower-O'er-Him, - a township in Bambrough parish, Northumberland; 4¼ miles E by S of Belford. Acres: 455. Population: 39. Houses: 8."

Glororum was a township in the ancient parish of Bamburgh. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Belford Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed back into Bamburgh.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Glororum. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.