Extracts pertaining to local and historical information are taken from a Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis published in 1837.
GLENWHIRRY, an extra-parochial district, in the barony of LOWER ANTRIM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 6 miles (W. by S.) from Larne, on the road to Broughshane; containing 1358 inhabitants. According to the Ordnance survey it comprises 11,368 1/4 statute acres. There is a meeting-house for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class. About 80 children are educated in two private schools, and there is a Sunday school.