Place:Glenluce (village), Wigtownshire, Scotland

Watchers
NameGlenluce (village)
TypeVillage
Coordinates54.867°N 4.833°W
Located inWigtownshire, Scotland     ( - 1975)
See alsoOld Luce, Wigtownshire, Scotlandparish in which Glenluce was located until 1975
Dumfries and Galloway Region, Scotlandregional administration 1975-1996
Dumfries and Galloway, Scotlandunitary Council Area since 1996
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


From the Gazetteer for Scotland

"An agricultural village in the former county of Wigtownshire, Glenluce lies at the mouth of the Water of Luce where it enters Luce Bay, 9 miles (14 km) east of Stranraer. Glenluce Abbey to the northwest of the village was founded in 1192 by Roland, Earl of Galloway, for the Cistercian order. Castle of Park, a former stronghold of the Hays, dates from 1590."

Research Tips

Refer to the parish of Old Luce