Taken from Guthrie County, An Illustrious Past, A Great Future
Glendon Church by Norma Muller (Miller?)
In 1853, about a dozen persons who had removed from Indiana and settled in Beaver Creek, organized themselves in a society called the Church of God. For several years they had no minister but kept up their meetings with little preaching until 1862 when Elder Nye settled among them. Religion consisted of scriptures as the only rule, no discipline or articles of faith, but washing of each others feet as a religious ordinance. At Enos Miller’s residence and the old Beaver school, appointments were kept. The Society was sometimes known as Winebrennarians and consisted of Jacob and Catharine Miller, Christian and Elizabeth Miller, John and Isabel Miller, Enos and Rufa Ann Miller, Joseph and Julia Miller, Thomas M. and Catherine Coleman and Miss Mary A. Downing. In many ways this branch of the Christian Church is peculiar. They have no discipline or articles of faith, taking the scriptures as their only guide and rule; taking no distinctive name other than that which the primitive church bore in the days of the Apostles. The washing of each other’s feet as a religious ordinance in their meetings was a part of their ceremonial law. In their meeting they give the largest liberty to all Christians, allowing any who choose to take part in the exercises, claiming every Christian person as a brother or sister in the Lord. At the date of organization, Christian Miller was chosen elder, but death in the fall cut him off, and for a short time there was no regular leader. George Thomas was the first pastor, taking charge in the summer of 1855 and contenting in the same until August 1856. He was succeeded by I. E. Boyer in the fall of 1857 and who remained one year. For some time, the little band was without a regular leader and teacher, but in December 1862, Adam L. Nye came among them and continued laboring in the vineyard until the spring of 1866. On assuming charge, a reorganization of the society was had, at which time there were some 23 members. In September 1865, protracted meetings were held under the supervision of J. M. West and many conversions were made and numbers added to the membership. Mr. Nye gave up the charge early in 1866, and they had no regular pastor until July 19, 1868, when he returned from Michigan and again assumed the function of pastor and elder. He remained until succeeded by O. V. Kenaston in March, 1872. The latter remained until September 1873 when the church was again left without a pastor. J. J. Richardson in September 1875 and A. Wilson in 1877, now succeeded, remained until 1882. J. M. Mullen was next. This society has been closely allied with the Baptist denomination since their reorganization in 1861. Their church edifice which stands upon lot 1 in Section 5, was completed in August 1881 and cost about $800. About 60 members in good standing were recorded upon the church books in 1884. On August 2, 1880, a short railroad was completed to connect Guthrie Center with the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad at Menlo. Along this railroad the little town of Glendon was laid out upon lots 7 and 10 in Section 3 in the latter part of 1880 and the plat filed for record November 15, 1880, in Beaver Township. Glendon grew into a little country hamlet with a store, post office, elevator, stockyards, blacksmith shop etc. In about 1886 it was decided to move the church building to Glendon because a larger number of the congregation lived in or near there. In later years Glendon became a brickyard town. Some real old timers used to recall J. M. Mullen’s voice and how it could be heard for blocks away thundering “Marvel not that I said unto you. Ye must be born again.” This is believed to be the last of the Church of God preaching. In the early 1900’s before Mullen retired, an evangelist held services in the building and many souls were converted. The last night of the services, the evangelist advised the group to start a Sunday school. Many persons have served in the preaching capacity and as superintendents of Glendon Union Sunday School. No attempt can be made to list them all. A few names are recalled here in order to span the time and with the sincere hope that all can identify with their point of time in history. Hal Moyer, a long time local resident, was the first superintendent to serve the organization. Earl Moore of Panora at one time served as a lay preacher. Throughout the 1930’s and early 1840’s Hattie Miller served as superintendent with determined faithfulness. Many times during these difficult depression and early World War II years, only a few children attended and the funds were almost nil. Bob Clark could always be depended upon in those days to sweep out the church and build a warm fire on cold mornings. In 1950 Arthur Veach came from his home in Des Moines to minister at Glendon. He later said that when he came to Glendon, the fields were white already to harvest and many souls, both young and old, were saved as evangelists held revival meetings during that time. The renovation of the church building and grounds was completed in 1967 when Harmon Miller was serving as superintendent. A homecoming was held July 16 of that year. There were 80 people attending Sunday school on that morning and over 100 people attended the activities of the day. When Miller went home to be with the Lord in November 1967, Clarence Putney became the superintendent and still serves. References: History of Guthrie County by Hester Maxwell, History of Guthrie and Adair Counties, Iowa, 1884, Chapter XIV, Ecclesiastical History; Glendon Church History, speech by Harmon Miller, July 16, 1967; Miller Family of Guthrie County, Iowa, by Ruth Anderson
Early Churches of Beaver Township
The Sharon Baptist Church in Beaver Township was located on Lot 1 of Lot 1 in Section 34 on land donated to the church by F. M. Coleman and wife in 1891. Some of the names of the early members: the Andrew Thompson family, the Mains family, John F. Branson and wife and some of their children. The building has been gone for many years. Perhaps the earliest church in Beaver Township was the Church of God incorporated in 1880. It was located about two miles south of Monteith on Beaver Creek, and west of Glendon in the Beaver No 8 school district. Later it was moved to Glendon. Early trustees were T. M. Coleman, J. M. Coleman and E. S. Miller. The Fairview Church in Beaver Township affiliated with the United Brethren of Christ was incorporated in 1901. It was located about one half mile south of Beaver No. 2 school also called Ribbon Ridge School. It was in Lot 1` SE 1/4 Section 8. It was first deeded to the United Brethren by John Waggoner and wife. The church quit having services and the building is gone.
Rural school teachers in Glendon in 1952-53: 4, Doris Miller, Menlo; 5 Alone Moore, Menlo; 9 Lucy Kinsey. .