|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1955)|
|See also||Whittingham, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Rothbury Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Hedgeley, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Glanton is a small rural village, in the county of Northumberland, England. Historically, Glanton was a relatively industrial village, although in recent years the level of industry has declined. Agriculture now dominates the surrounding area.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Glanton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "GLANTON, a village and a township in Whittingham parish, Northumberland. The village stands 2 miles N of Whittingham, and 8 W of Alnwick; contains some handsome houses; and has a post office under Alnwick, and a Presbyterian church. The township comprises 1,329 acres. Population: 619. Houses: 134. Glanton House is the seat of F. J. Collingwood, Esq. Glanton Pike is a 1ofty eminence, and was anciently a beacon station, to alarm the country in times of danger. There is a petrifying spring. Several stone coffins and urns, with ancient British weapons, were found, in 1716, near Deer-street."
Glanton was a township in the ancient parish of Whittingham and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Rothbury Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Hedgeley.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Glanton, Northumberland, England | Whittingham, Northumberland, England | Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England | Rothbury Rural, Northumberland, England | Hedgeley, Northumberland, England