Gilling East is a village and civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England. It lies on the main B1363 road between York and Helmsley and two miles south of Oswaldkirk. The village, with a population of fewer than 200, lies in the Howardian Hills just south of the North Yorkshire Moors National Park and close to Ampleforth Abbey and College.
Gilling Castle lies on a hill overlooking the village. It began as a towerhouse built by Thomas Etton sometime in the fourteenth century. Later in 1492 it passed to the Fairfax family and remained in their hands until 1793. Most of the castle we see today dates from their period of occupancy.
The local pub, the Fairfax Arms, sits at the base of a hill which leads up the drive to Gilling Castle, now the Prep School for Ampleforth College, called St Martins Ampleforth. The Anglican church in the village is Holy Cross.
There is also a miniature railway in the village operated by the Ryedale Society of Model Engineers. The RSME railway and club house share the site of the old school, now refurbished as Gilling East Village Hall, on Pottergate which is the narrow road running west from the main road alongside the Fairfax Arms.