German is a town in Chenango County, New York, United States. The population was 370 at the 2010 census. The town is named after U.S. Senator Obadiah German, the original land owner. The town is at the western border of the county and is west of Norwich.
The first settlers arrived around 1796. German was founded as the "Town of Brakel" from part of the town of DeRuyter (now in Madison County). Later the town was reduced by the formation of newer towns: Otselic (1817), Lincklaen (1823), and part of Pitcher (1827).
The 1865 population of German was 778.