The Town of Georgetown is on the south border of the county.
The town was first settled around 1804. The town was organized from part of the Town of DeRuyter in 1815.
The town was named after George Washington, whom used to frequent the town. Town members had originally planned to name the town "Washington", but instead decided upon "Georgetown" because of so many different towns already boasting the name Washington.