Geneva is a city in Ontario and Seneca counties in the U.S. state of New York. All land portions of the city are within Ontario County; the water portions are in Seneca County. The population was 13,261 at the 2010 census. Some claim it is named after the city and canton of Geneva in Switzerland. Others believe the name came from confusion over the letters in the word "Seneca" written in cursive. Ironically, though its own origin is unclear, the New York city is known to be the namesake of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.
The city is surrounded by the town of Geneva. The city says it is the "Lake Trout Capital of the World."
The site was originally the Seneca Native American village of Kanadasaga. It became a strongpoint after being fortified by the British against the French and later against the Americans. The village was abandoned following its destruction by the punitive Sullivan Expedition of 1779, but resettled by Europeans around 1793 as a town developed by the Pulteney Association.
At the conclusion of the Revolutionary War, Lt. Col. Seth Reed, who had fought at Bunker Hill, moved from Massachusetts into Ontario County, where by trade with the Indians he became owner of a tract of land eighteen miles in extent. This occurred in 1787, while Hannah stayed in Uxbridge, Massachusetts with the family. The text states that "Seth Read moved, his wife Hannah and their family to Geneva, Ontario County, New York in the winter of 1790".
The settlement at Geneva was not yet permanent because of indigenous Seneca Indian attacks, and Seth Read then moved his family to Erie, Pennsylvania becoming the earliest European settlers there. The text states that, Finally, he sold this property and brought his wife and two sons (James Manning and Charles John) to the present site of Erie, arriving on the 17th of June, 1795.
The "Village of Geneva" was incorporated in 1806, 1812, and 1871, formally separating it from the surrounding area of Geneva Town. Later the village became a city.