|Alt names||Chemelinge||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 306|
|Ghemelinge||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 306|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||East Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|Humberside, England (1974 - 1996)|
|East Riding of Yorkshire, England (1996 - )|
|See also||Foston on the Wolds, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Driffield Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which the parish was situated 1894-1935|
|Beeford, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1935|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Gembling is now a hamlet in the civil parish of Foston on the Wolds in the East Riding of Yorkshire. It is situated approximately 8 miles (13 km) southwest from the coastal resort of Bridlington and 2.5 miles (4 km) north from the village of North Frodingham.
Historically, Gembling was a township in the ecclesiastical parish of Foston on the Wolds in the wapentake of Dickering. From 1894 until 1935, Gembling was a civil parish in Driffield Rural District until 1935 when it merged with the neighbouring parish of Beeford under the name Beeford. Civil parish groups of villages and hamlets have altered yet again since 1974.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.
- GENUKI on Gembling. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Foston on the Wolds provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Gembling.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps of the East Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
Categories: East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Humberside, England | Driffield Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Dickering Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Gembling, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Beeford, East Riding of Yorkshire, England