Gedney is a village and civil parish in the South Holland District of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated just to the south of the A17 Boston to King's Lynn road, 2 miles (3.2 km) east from Holbeach and 2 miles (3.2 km) northwest from Long Sutton. The parish stretches east to The Wash, its villages and hamlets including Gedney Drove End, Gedney Dyke, Gedney Dawsmere, Gedney Marsh, and Gedney Church End.
Gedney and its parish lies on reclaimed fenland, making it one of the most intensive crop-growing areas in the UK. Gedney Grade I listed Anglican parish church is dedicated to St Mary Magdalene. Its population in the 2011 UK census was 2,351. The parish is very long and stretches on a wide arc northwest of Long Sutton.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Gedney, Lincolnshire.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.