Place:Gas City, Grant, Indiana, United States

Watchers


NameGas City
Alt namesHarrisburgsource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS18005767
TypeCity
Coordinates40.488°N 85.606°W
Located inGrant, Indiana, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Gas City is a city in Grant County, Indiana, along the Mississinewa River. The population was 5,965 at the 2010 census.

It was first known as Harrisburg when settled on May 25, 1867 by Noah Harris. It became something of a boom town when natural gas was found in the area in 1887. The Gas City Land Company was founded on March 21, 1892 and the town of about 150 people changed its name to Gas City a few days later. However, as of 2012 much of the gas is depleted.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Gas City, Indiana. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.