Garton on the Wolds is a village and civil parish on the Yorkshire Wolds in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 3 miles (4.8 km) north-west of Driffield town centre and lies on the A166 road.
The civil parish is formed by the village of Garton on the Wolds and the hamlet of Elmswell. According to the 2011 UK census, Garton parish had a population of 348, an increase on the 2001 UK census figure of 299.
Historically, Garton on the Wolds was an ecclesiastical parish in the wapentake of Dickering. From 1894 until 1935, Garton on the Wolds was located in Driffield Rural District. In 1935 it merged with the neigbouring parish of Elmswell with Little Driffield and became the civil parish of Garton (near Driffield).
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.
Wikipedia" provides an historical description of the village's church, dedicated to St. Michael's and All Angels.