Place:Garston, Lancashire, England

Watchers
NameGarston
TypeCity district
Coordinates53.351°N 2.894°W
Located inLancashire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inMerseyside, England     (1974 - )
See alsoLiverpool, Lancashire, Englandcounty borough of which it was a part until 1974
Liverpool (metropolitan borough), Merseyside, Englandmetropolitan borough of which it has been a part since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Garston is an area of the Metropolitan Borough of Liverpool, in Merseyside, England, and is a Liverpool City Council ward. Before 1974 it was in Lancashire. It is bordered by Aigburth, Grassendale, Allerton and Speke.

In medieval times, Garston was home to a group of Benedictine monks. The first recorded mention of settlement in Garston is of the Church of St Michael in 1235. By the 19th century, the area had become a small village, one of the eight townships forming the parish of Childwall. In 1902, Garston was incorporated into the City of Liverpool.

A small dock was first built at Garston in 1793 for Blackburne’s Saltworks, which still stands today. Garston's growth accelerated rapidly in the 1840s. In 1846, the area's first dock was constructed and opened, under the auspices of the St Helens and Runcorn Gap Railway Company. The "Old Dock" was followed twenty years later by a second, the "North Dock". The third and final dock, Stalbridge was opened in 1907. Today, Garston is a major shipping and container port, second only to Liverpool Docks in the northwest of the borough.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Garston, Merseyside. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.