A post office operated at Garlock from 1896 to 1904 and from 1923 to 1926.
Garlock is a ghost town that was known as El Paso City or Cow Wells interchangeably. The little town provided water for cattlemen and freighters wishing to avoid the potentially treacherous washes in Red Rock Canyon. Some gold had been found in the canyons of the El Paso Mountains, enough to warrant an arrastre being built in 1887. In 1893 a nugget was brought in worth $1,900 from Goler Heights (former reference to Goler Canyon is located in Death Valley, NOT off Garlock Rd.) and so the rush began. In 1894 Eugene Garlock of Tehachapi moved in an eight stamp mill. Miners would talk of going down to "the Garlock mill," "down to the Garlock," and finally just "Garlock."
The site is now registered as California Historical Landmark #671.