Garland was settled in 1802 and incorporated in 1811. It was named for the first settler, Joseph Garland, who came from Salisbury, New Hampshire.
The township was originally granted by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to Williams College, which sold it to a series of proprietors in 1798. It was originally called "Lincoln" after one of them, Levi Lincoln.
The town had 1,247 people by 1859.
--John Clement 15:23, 3 February 2007 (MST)