The Town of Gardiner is in the south-central part of the county.
The first settlers in the region were Huguenots from France. Gardiner was created from parts of New Paltz, Rochester, and Shawangunk by an act of the New York State Legislature on April 2, 1853. The first town meeting was on May 17, 1853. It was named for Lieutenant Governor Addison Gardiner. In 1925, a large fire destroyed a large part of Gardiner village.
Gardiner's Fire Department offers many social events throughout the year, including the Penny Social and the Plant Sale.
The public library, located on Farmer's Turnpike, also offers groups, events, and classes.