Place:Gallow Hill, Northumberland, England

NameGallow Hill
Alt namesGallow-Hillsource: spelling variation
Gallowhillsource: spelling variation
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.133°N 1.838°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoBolam, Northumberland, Englandancient parish of which it was part
Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient division in which it was located
Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Belsay, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was transferred in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Gallow Hill from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"GALLOW-HILL, a township in Bolam parish, Northumberland; near Watling-street, 7½ miles WSW of Morpeth. Acres: 603. Population, 52. Houses: 11. This was formerly the place of execution for the barony of Bolam; whence its name."

Gallow Hill was a township in the ancient parish of Bolam and became a separate civil parish in 1866. The civil parish was abolished and the area absorbed into Belsay in 1955.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.