|Alt names||Robin Hood's Bay||source: village in parish|
|Bay Ness||source: hamlet in parish|
|Fylingthorpe||source: hamlet in parish|
|Normanby||source: hamlet in parish|
|Parkgate||source: hamlet in parish|
|Ramsdale||source: hamlet in parish|
|Rowe||source: hamlet in parish|
|Stoupe Brow||source: hamlet in parish|
|Stow Brow||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||North Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Whitby, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
|Whitby Strand Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||liberty or hundred in which it was located|
|Whitby Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1974|
|Scarborough District, North Yorkshire, England||administrative district covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Fylingdales has been since 1974 a civil parish in the Scarborough District of North Yorkshire, England situated south of Whitby, within the North York Moors National Park. It contains the villages of Robin Hood's Bay and Fylingthorpe .
According to the 2011 UK census, Fylingdales parish had a population of 1,346, a reduction on the 2001 UK census figure of 1,485.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Fylingdales.
Fylingdales was originally a chapelry in the ancient parish of Whitby in the Whitby Strand Wapentake (or Liberty) of the North Riding of Yorkshire. It was made a civil parish in 1866 and in 1894 it became part of the Whitby Rural District. Since 1974 Fylingdales has been in North Yorkshire, specifically within the Scarborough District.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Fylingdales from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "FYLINGDALES, a parish in Whitby [registration] district, [North Riding of] Yorkshire; on the coast, 4½ miles SSE of Whitby town and [railway] station. It contains the village of Robin Hood's Bay, which has a post office under Whitby; also the hamlets of Fylingthorpe, Normanby, Ramsdale, Rowe, Parkgate, Stow-Brow, Bay-Ness, and Stoupe-Brow. Acres: 18,458; of which 521 are water. Real property: £7,869. Population: 1,721. Houses: 412. The property is much subdivided. Alum works were here, but were stopped prior to 1851. Much fishing is carried on. Hubba the Dane, in 867, planted his standard, bearing the raven, on a hill in this parish, hence called to this day Raven hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value: £300. Patron: the Archbishop of York. The church is very good; and there are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, a national school, and charities £16."
Categories: North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Fylingdales, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Whitby, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Whitby Strand Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Whitby Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Scarborough District, North Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England