Fulton County is a county located in the U.S. state of Georgia. Its county seat is Atlanta, the state capital since 1868. 90% of the City of Atlanta is within Fulton County (the other 10% lies within DeKalb County). Fulton County is the principal county of the Atlanta metropolitan area. As of the 2010 census, the population was 920,581; however, Atlanta mayor Kasim Reed suspects significant undercounting in the City of Atlanta, which implies similar concerns for Fulton County as a whole – the 2009 estimate of the county's population was 1,020,014, 10.8% higher than the 2010 census results. The current 2012 estimate for the population of Fulton County is, 1,033,756..
Fulton County is one of the five core counties of the Atlanta metropolitan area and the most populous county in the U.S. state of Georgia.
Fulton County was created from the western half of DeKalb County in 1853.
During General William T. Sherman's March to the Sea during the Atlanta Campaign of the American Civil War, Sherman spared Roswell because he had a cousin who lived there. As a result, Roswell has more pre-Civil War historical buildings than anywhere else in north Georgia.
The county's name is often assumed to be in honor of inventor Robert Fulton, who built the first successful steamboat in 1807. This assumption is likely because this steam engine was the predecessor to the steam locomotives which built Atlanta. Some research now indicates that the name may have been in honor of Hamilton Fulton, a surveyor for the Western and Atlantic Railroad. Nonetheless, the county claims to be named after Robert Fulton.
At the beginning of 1932, as an austerity measure to save money during the Great Depression, Milton County to the north and Campbell County to the southwest became part of Fulton County. This gave the county its current long shape along of the Chattahoochee River. On May 9 of that year, neighboring Cobb County ceded to Fulton the city of Roswell and lands lying east of Willeo Creek, in order that the latter county be more contiguous with the lands ceded from Milton.
Note: annexed Campbell and Milton in 1932.