This quote is an excerpt from an article about Fulda taken from a supplement to the Fulda Free Press newspaper.
During the 1870's, Bishop Ireland, St. Paul, MN, contracted with the St. Paul and the St. Paul and Sioux City railway companies to settle or colonize nine townships in Murray and Nobles County. Among the reserved sections of land was the one which the City of Fulda is located. Planning of Fulda was completed in July 1879. In the August 7th, 1879, issue of the Worthington Advance, it was reported that the new town located at Seven Mile Lake had been named Fulda and that a hotel had been built there. By December 1879, there were 11 businesses in the new settlement.
The city of Fulda was founded in 1881 along the Milwaukee Road primarily by German settlers, though also by Scandinavian and Irish. The community was named for Fulda in Hessen, Germany. Fulda is still predominantly an agricultural city.
Although the rail line was discontinued in 1980, the two-story depot building, along with a section of track, has been preserved and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The lower level of the depot is currently used as an antique museum and store. The other building in the city on the National Register is the former Citizens State Bank building.
Fulda has a Civil War cannon located in its city park. This cannon is a three-inch (76 mm) rifled gun and was purchased for $155 on June 25, 1892, by the Zach Taylor Post No. 42 of the Grand Army of the Republic.