Frodsham is a market town and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. Its population was 8,982 in the UK census of 2001. It is approximately 3 miles (5 km) south of Runcorn, 16 miles (26 km) south of Liverpool, and 28 miles (45 km) southwest of Manchester. The River Weaver runs to its northeast and on the west it overlooks the estuary of the River Mersey. The A56 road and the Chester–Manchester railway line pass through the town, and the M56 motorway passes to the northwest.
In medieval times Frodsham was an important borough and port belonging to the Earls of Chester. Its parish church, St. Laurence's, still shows evidence of a building present in the 12th century in its nave and is referenced in the Domesday Book.
Frodsham was a township in Frodsham ancient parish in the Eddisbury Hundred, which became a civil parish in 1866. It includes the hamlets of Frodsham Bridge, Frodsham Marsh, Marsh Green, Newton by Frodsham and Snidley Moor. The population was 1250 in 1801, 2179 in 1851, 2728 in 1901, 5245 in 1951, and 8982 in 2001. (Source: GENUKI)