The parish was part of the Tendring Rural District from 1894 until 1901 when the village became an urban district. In 1934 the urban district was expanded and combined with Walton-on-the-Naze to become the urban district of Frinton and Walton. Since 1974 the area has been located in the Tendring District of Essex.
Until late Victorian times Frinton-on-Sea was a church, several farms and a handful of cottages. The seaside was developed early in the 20th century with emphasis on a golf course, a swimming pool, a tennis club, but boarding houses and pubs were banned until late in the century.