|Type||Extra parochial area, Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Thorngate Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Broughton, Hampshire, England||parish of which it was a tything|
|Stockbridge Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Romsey and Stockbridge Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|West Tytherley, Hampshire, England||parish which is joined in 1974|
|Test Valley District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Frenchmoor from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "FRENCHMOOR, a tything in Broughton parish, Hants; 7¼ miles NW of Romsey. Pop., 58."
A Vision of Britain through Time also states that Frenchmoor became a civil parish in 1858.
Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 4 states:
- "Frenchmoor, extra-parochial, lies 4 miles southwest."
Frenchmoor was in the Stockbridge Rural District from 1894 until 1932, and in the Romsey and Stockbridge Rural District from 1932 until 1974. In 1974 Frenchmoor joined with part of the parish of West Tytherley within the Test Valley District.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 4, chapter on Broughton with Frenchmoor.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Frenchmoor, Hampshire, England | Broughton, Hampshire, England | Thorngate Hundred, Hampshire, England | Stockbridge Rural, Hampshire, England | Romsey and Stockbridge Rural, Hampshire, England | West Tytherley, Hampshire, England | Test Valley District, Hampshire, England