The village of Freeman Spur straddles the county line between Franklin County and Williamson County and as such is located in both counties. The Freeman Cemetery is located across the street from the post office, on a slightly elevated area surrounded by a cornfield.
A United States post office was established here in 1931 and is still active. The original name of the post office was Freemanspur. The village was formed by a combination of places: Dell'Era, Dillard, Franklin and Freeman (the railroad name). It was formerly known as Possum Ridge.
Freeman Spur was built around a coal mine. The term "spur" refers to the railroad spur that connected the mine with the main railroad line for shipping coal.