Fredon Township is a township in Sussex County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the township's population was 3,437, reflecting an increase of 577 (+20.2%) from the 2,860 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 97 (+3.5%) from the 2,763 counted in the 1990 Census.
In 1800, Isaac V. Coursen named the Stillwater Township area "Coursen's Corners" after establishing a post office in his store, the Coursen House, but changed the name to Fredon Village before his death in 1855. Stillwater Township's Bicentennial Committee obtained information from the Postmaster General which "states that 'Fredon' is derived from the German word 'fredonia,' meaning place of freedom." Fredon Township was incorporated on February 24, 1904, from portions of Andover Township, Green Township, Hampton Township and Stillwater Township.