St. Stephen-in-Brannel (known locally as St Stephen's or St Stephen) (Cornish: Eglosstefan yn Branel) is a village and civil parish in Cornwall, England. St Stephen village is four miles (6.5 km) west of St Austell on the southern edge of Cornwall's china clay district.
In medieval times the parish lay within the royal manor of Brannel. St. Dennis and St. Michael-Carhayes were daughter churches. From the 16th century the rectors resided at the latter so that it came to be regarded as the mother church. Other settlements in the parish include Whitemoor, Currian Vale, Foxhole, Lanjeth and Nanpean.
St. Stephen-in-Brannel was part of the St. Austell Rural District from 1894 until 1974.
Mining has had a large impact on the growth of the area. St Stephen grew with the discovery by William Cookworthy of clay deposits in the surrounding area during the 18th century. Uranium was mined at South Terras Mine, a short distance from the village between 1870 and 1930 and in 1996 the mine was notified as a Site of Special Scientific Interest. Tregargus Quarries to the north west of the churchtown is a Geological Conservation Review site and designated a SSSI in 1951.
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.