Place:Fort Johnson, Montgomery, New York, United States

Watchers


NameFort Johnson
Alt namesAikensource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS36009519
Akinsource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS36009519
TypeVillage
Coordinates42.958°N 74.236°W
Located inMontgomery, New York, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Fort Johnson, formerly known as Akin, is a village in Montgomery County, New York, United States. The population was 490 at the 2010 census.

The Village of Fort Johnson is in the south part of the town of Amsterdam, west of the city of Amsterdam.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Around 1710, early Palatinate Germans began attempting settlement in the town, but in 1716, the natives sold a portion of the land now in the eastern part of the Town of Amsterdam to Philip Groat. This part of New York was part of the original Mohawk domain. In 1739, William Johnson, previously residing closer to Amsterdam, purchased land including the site of the village and established a mill in 1744. The original name used was "Mount Johnson."

The community was the original seat of power of William Johnson before he moved on to found the City of Johnstown. His home is still preserved as Old Fort Johnson. Johnson was particularly an ally of the Mohawk and was married to a woman of the tribe, along with other women.

Old Fort Johnson was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Fort Johnson, New York. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.