Fort Hancock is a former United States Army fort at Sandy Hook in Middletown Township New Jersey. The coastal artillery base defended the Atlantic coast and the entrance to New York Harbor. Between 1874 and 1919, Fort Hancock was operated in conjunction with the US Army's Sandy Hook Proving Ground. It is now part of Fort Hancock Memorial Park.
The Sandy Hook Light, the oldest working lighthouse in the United States, is located on the grounds of Fort Hancock.
Fort Hancock was decommissioned in 1974. It is now part of the National Parks of New York Harbor under the National Park System. A museum is managed as part of the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. In 2013, the Park Service introduced Nubian goats to the fort in order to clear away poison Ivy that has been growing unchecked on the 6-acre property for about 40 years.
The NPS is soliciting proposals for renovation and use to the more than 35 buildings in the fort complex.